According to 2017 World Health Organization (WHO) data:
- More than 1.9 billion people are overweight.
- More than 650 million people are obese.
- 35% adults aged 20 years and over are overweight, 11% of them are obese.
According to Health Behavior in School-Age Children Research conducted in 26 countries, it has been determined that rate of children who are being overweight in different age groups as follows:
- 25% of girls aged 11,
- 30% of boys aged 11,
- 31% of girls aged 13,
- 31% of boys aged 13,
- 32% of girls aged 15,
- 28% of boys aged 15 are overweight.
According to another research conducted in EU countries as follows:
- Overweight rate is between 30% and 70%.
- Obesity rate is between 10% and 30%.
According to another research conducted in Europe between 2008 and 2009 as follows:
- Overweight and obesity rate in women is between 36.9% and 56.7%.
- Overweight and obesity rate in men is between 51% and 69.3%.
Another research conducted in USA shows that more than 78 million American adults are obese. The rate is as follows:
- The rate of obese men in USA is 35.5%.
- The rate of obese women in USA is 35.8%.
According to researches that conducted in Turkey in 2010 as follows:
- 8.5% of 2567 children aged 0-5 are obese and 17.9% of them are slightly overweight.
- 8.2% of 2248 children age 6-18 are obese and 14.3% of them are slightly overweight.
In the same research, highest incidence of obesity rates is as follows according to the regions or cities of Turkey:
- Doğu Marmara: 12.5%
- Ege: 11.4%
- Akdeniz: 11.4%
- İstanbul: 10.8%
Also, lowest incidence of obesity rates is as follows according to the regions or cities of Turkey:
- Güneydoğu Anadolu: 3.4%
- Doğu Karadeniz: 3.6%
- Kuzeydoğu Anadolu: 4.1%
The data of Turkish Statistical Institute in 2012 as follows:
- 17% of 15 years and over of the population in Turkey is obese.
- 34.8% of them are obese.
- The rate of obese women in Turkey is 20.9%.
- The rate of overweight women in Turkey is 30.4%.
- The rate of obese men in Turkey is 13.7%.
- The rate of overweight man in Turkey is 39%.
- TÜİK. Türkiye İstatistik Kurumu. Türkiye Sağlık Araştırması, 2012. Haber Bülteni, 2013; Sayı 13490. http://www.tuik.gov.tr/PreHaberBultenleri.do?id=13490
- Currie C, Zanotti C, Morgan A, Currie D, de Looze M, Roberts C, Samdal O, Smith ORF, Barnekow V. Social determinants of health and well-being among young people. Health Behaviour in School-aged Children (HBSC) study: international report from the 2009/2010 survey. Copenhagen, WHO Regional Office for Europe, 2012.
- World Health Organization, Obesity and Overweight Fact Sheet, Updated October, 2017. http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs311/en/
- Sağlık Bakanlığı Sağlık Araştırmaları Genel Müdürlüğü, Hacettepe Üniversitesi Sağlık Bilimleri Fakültesi Beslenme ve Diyetetik Bölümü, Ankara Numune Eğitim ve Araştırma Hastanesi. Türkiye Beslenme ve Sağlık Araştırması 2010: Beslenme Durumu ve Alışkanlıklarının Değerlendirilmesi Sonuç Raporu. Sağlık Bakanlığı Yayın No: 931, Ankara, 2014.